Thursday, April 8, 2010
Not such an excited botanist after all....
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how excited I was to learn and teach Botany. Well, today the excitement waned. It was my turn to teach, I spent hours preparing, and it just wasn't great. I was pretty excited to learn that testa is the the seed coat and hilum is the seed belly button but were the 6 to 8 year-olds excited to learn that? Not really. I couldn't find the perfect worksheet online (even though I spent a vast amount of time searching) so I created my own perfect worksheet that the kids ended up not really being able to read because the words were too hard. I think I forgot what age I was teaching.... It wasn't nearly as exciting to diagram a sprouting bean plant as I was hoping. On the positive side, the kids did like gathering nuts, leaves, and wild flowers in the woods and a few of them were excited to start their seed collection. I guess not every lesson can be a winner but it sure is deflating when things don't work out. I'm back to NOT being a science fan. History anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment