Science is really not my thing, really. However, as a homeschooling mom, I know I need to embrace all subjects and hopefully make them my thing so I won't pass on preconceived notions to my kids about what is cool and fun to learn about and what is not. Fortunately, I have a wonderful friend who loves Science and she invited me to join her science co-op 4 years ago. In the past 4 years I've learned to appreciate and find excitement in learning Biology, Earth Science, Physics, Chemistry,and Astronomy. (Okay, maybe Chemistry still isn't exciting to me.)
Recently we started a new unit...Botany. Botany? Hmmm....what is that again? That doesn't sound fun. When I told my daughter we were going to start Botany, she said in a skeptical and non-thrilled voice, "So, we're going to learn about plants?" Yep. She sounded as excited as I felt. I don't garden, I don't even plant flowers. To make matters worse, I agreed to help teach this year so not only do I have to listen to someone else teach about this "boring" topic, I have to learn it well enough to teach it myself.
I put-off planning my first lesson until the night before I had to teach (very typical). I had been reading stuff for days but I couldn't figure out how to make this topic exciting for a bunch of 6 to 8-year-olds! In the end, I had the kids perform a little play about photosynthesis and it was actually kind-of fun. Today was Science class again, it was not my turn to teach (I love those days) and the teacher gave a lesson on flowers (I learned a lot of things I didn't know before and it was actually super interesting). After the lesson we dissected flowers and labeled the parts. I had thought about doing that but it sounded too hard and yes, boring. Guess what? I totally loved it! (Much more pleasant than dissecting a frog). I couldn't wait to come home and disect more flowers! I've been reading this book on Botany (written for elementary students--right at my level) and I haven't wanted to put it down. Can you believe that? I'm actually excited to make nature books and get field guides and do this topic right. I'm actually excited to teach Botany! Wow! I would have never thought I would feel this way.
I love homeschooling because I get to learn so much along with my kids. It is so much fun! Do we really need to know the parts of a flower? No. Is it fun and interesting to know? Yes. I hoped homeschooling would help my kids love learning; I don't know if it has worked for them but it has sure worked for me! :)
So glad you started your blog! Super fun to read :)
ReplyDeleteI like your posts. I am excited to stary homeschooling too!
ReplyDelete