Thursday, July 8, 2010

Book Review--Les Miserables

I just finished reading the unabridged version of Les Miserables, 1488 pages. I read an abridged version in college and thought it was absolutely wonderful. I imagined the unabridged version would only be more wonderful. This is what I expected when I began:

  • To finish the book in less than a month and most likely in less than 2 weeks.
  • To love, love, love it, as much as Jane Eyre if not more.
  • To be moved and inspired.

 What was the reality?

  • It took me almost 6 months to read. That sets a record for the longest amount of time it has taken me to read a classic.
  • I loved parts of the book but I felt extremely irritated and annoyed at other parts.
  • I was moved and inspired but not nearly as much as I expected and mostly because the feelings of irritation and annoyance heavily overshadowed the positive feelings.

What went wrong? How could I not love this book that is so beloved by so many people? The fact of the matter is, I do love the story. Jean Valjean is a character to remember and reflect on and try to be like. The story is a classic that everyone should read but please, READ AN ABRIDGED VERSION! It pains me to say that. This is the first time in my life I have recommended an abridged classic and I wish I didn’t feel that way but I do. As I read, I felt like I was pushing my way through thick forests of historical side notes and unnecessary diversions, trying to get back to the beautiful story, it was very frustrating. And I love history, I devour history books, I don’t know why it bothered me so much. As soon as I finished the book I went to the used book store to pick up an abridged version. Why? Because the story really is that good and I wanted to find a version that I could recommend to others. I was actually tempted to edit the book myself to make sure nothing important was missed. I so wanted to love this book but I didn't. (Big sigh).  Read this story, but try to read a version that is 900 pages or less.

I wrote this a couple weeks ago but never posted it.  I'm posting it now but adding that this book did affect me in a good way and I'm feeling its effects at the weeks wear on.  Every time I've been faced with the choice of doing the right thing even though it's hard and I don't want to do it, I've thought of Jean Valjean and it has inspired me to do the right thing, even when it's hard.  Wonderful story.

5 comments:

  1. OK - I'll order an abridged version. I need more classics in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I haven't read the unabridged, but I did love the abridged version. I will have to tell you which one I got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pillars of the Earth is a very good book...set in the 12th century...novel about building cathedrals...but not dry! Lynn Lafroth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lynn! I'll have to check that book out!

    ReplyDelete