Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Theatre, The Theatre


Make-up and costumes done--ready to go on stage

The last few months of our year were dedicated to the play, Our Town.  In September, we learned that Gainesville Community Theatre was having auditions for the play.  Kayla wanted to audition even though we didn't know anything about it (okay, okay, not everyone is well-versed in Thornton Wilder).  I had no intention of auditioning, but when I got there, it occured to me that I could, so I decided to do it.  However, I chickened out as I saw the other people auditioning.  They were awesome and I felt out of my league!  Fortunately, the director gave me another chance later when he offered Kayla her part.  It turned out that they needed a boy Hunter's age as well, so he joined us too. 

Hunter as Wally Webb

Me as Mrs. Soames

Kayla as Rebecca Gibbs



 It was a really great experience, even though the time commitment was hefty (hence my lack of blogging since September).  Performing was fun, but what I loved the most was meeting so many wonderful people.  I have such warm memories as I look back at the photos of everyone.  It was a growing experience for me too.  I was super nervous at first, since my role was a bit over-the-top and I felt embarrassed about it.  The director was a great coach, however, and he really brought me out of my comfort zone, plus the cast was so encouraging.  They really cheered me on and I had so much fun.  I enjoyed being able to spend a lot of time with my older kids during rehearsals while Jason worked hard at home with the little ones...well, he basically had a party with Tanner every night after Archer went to bed!  Tanner was always excited when we went to play practice. :)

Backstage with Niccy--the amazing, super-talented female lead

 
Hunter backstage

We had a cast party at our house a week after the show ended and it was such a blast.  Tanner asked the cast if they wanted to go down and see our basement.  I thought they would be down there for 5 minutes, but they never returned.  They had a lot of fun dressing-up, storming the castle, and doing a variety of battles.  The mature adults (I include myself in that group) stayed upstairs and just listened to the commotion.  It was great fun and I will miss seeing these awesome people every week.

Sharing memories from the play



Battle in the basement


Niccy & Emily--awesome chickas

Hunter and Niccy

Sir Justin

Sir Marc & Sir Justin

Lady Carolyn--a lovely gal we became friends with

Our really awesome friends from Our Town

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures Marsha! I'm glad you were able to be in the play with your kids. What a great experience! I'm glad mom and dad were able to see you all! I'm not surprised the people stayed in the basement longer. It is such a fun basement!

    ReplyDelete