Sunday, September 23, 2012

Happy Birthday Hunter!


My little Hunter is not so little any more!  He is a big eleven-year-old now and I think he is at his most awesome stage yet.  Something magical has happened to Hunter in the last few months and I just keep pinching myself about it.  He has turned into this sweet boy who goes out of his way to please me, to do what I ask, to cheerfully do his own chores and sometimes offer to do the other kids chores, to help around the house in a million ways, to take care of the baby, and so on.  I am a bit in shock over it, although it has been going on for a few months.  I suppose I should be used to it by now, but I still think it is wonderful every day.  Don't get me wrong, he has always been a charming boy, but he has been known to be a bit mischievous, a bit of a teaser, a bit resistant, a bit defiant, a bit hyper, etc.  I think he finally came to the conclusion that he feels good when he does good and now he goes about trying to do good all the time.  It is really awesome and I feel sincerely grateful for it all of the time. 

Hunter was looking through the last blog book I printed out and he said, "Mom, where are all the pictures of my birthdays?  You didn't write anything about me or about my birthdays."  He was right!  I determined to write about him this year and post a few birthday pics.

As much as possible, we like to make the whole week special for the birthday child.  Tuesday night, Hunter and I went on a date to Outback Steakhouse.  He loves, loves, LOVES steak, so he was really thrilled.  Mr. Carrot came too, of course.




On his actual birthday, we followed our tradition of bringing the birthday child breakfast in bed.  He requested bacon, crepes, and orange julius.  He was awakened by his mom screaming because I whacked the breakfast tray on the door frame on my way into the room and it sent orange julius flying everywhere.  It was super annoying, but it makes the day more memorable, right?  We forgot to take pictures.

Hunter did double schoolwork the day before his birthday so he could have the day off from schoolwork on his actual birthday.  We have been taking a media break for a few weeks, so this was the first time he could play the wii in awhile and he enjoyed doing that for a good portion of the day.  He said he wanted a turkey for his birthday dinner, wrapped in bacon of course.  Hunter doesn't like pizza, but he has always said to me he would like an ice cream pizza.  I tried to make ice cream pizza for his birthday treat.  It was more like ice cream pie, but very delicious all the same.  We ended the day with presents and watching a batman movie.  Hunter loved his gifts.









On Saturday, we went to Montpelier again.  It was Constitution week so they had extra celebrations going on.  Jason and the kids got to ride in a hot air balloon.  It was a one-minute ride, but it was still cool.


Baby A. loved throwing these "balls" around.  They were walnuts.

Tanner wanted Daddy to take a picture of him with "Fruti Tart" on his shoulders.






 



Our final celebration was today.  We had our relatives over for another birthday dinner.  Uncle Steve and Kyle gave Hunter a really neat gift.  It was one of Jason's old bikes super spiffed up to look like new.  I know Uncle Steve put a lot of work into it and it was a huge hit!  That bike hung out in our basement forever and I kept asking Jason if I could get rid of it.  He would not allow it because he loved that bike so much as a kid.  Now it will be put to good use again.  Both Kayla and Hunter tried it out and said it is faster and better than the bikes they make nowadays.  I'm glad I didn't make Jason throw it out. :)

Cousin Kyle, Oma, Sloan, and Tanner




It's been a fun week celebrating Hunter.  I love you, bud!

3 comments:

  1. How did we miss Hunter's birthday? I will have Cade call him today! Cade and Hunter are definitely not "little" boys anymore. It is good and bad and sad all together! I'm so glad that Hunter is doing well at home and is happy! See you in about 10-11 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Marsha! I love hearing about your family and all the fun things you do together! What a way to make a birthday memorable! When Hunter was at my house for a night in the summer, I cooked some turkey bacon for him. I usually eat 2-3 slices for breakfast and he requested six! I know he likes bacon! Sorry I missed his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunter really is a great kid! We enjoyed visiting with him when he was here.

    ReplyDelete