Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Garden Update


My garden is growing, hooray!  I'm so excited! I know this is perfectly normal to most people, but since this is my first experience with gardening, I'm so thrilled to see the plants get bigger each week. Here's a little report on everything:

Box 1

Box 1, Front row--Strawberries and Petunias:
The strawberries aren't looking good. I have some kind of ugly brown beetle eating the leaves. After reading about all the problems I could have with strawberries, I'm thinking about pulling them out and doing something different. I've tasted a couple of them and they don't taste as good as the ones at the store. I like the petunias, even if I can't eat them. :)

Box 1, Back Row--Cantaloupe:
The Square Foot Garden book told me to plant one cantaloupe seed in each square and then take out the less dominant plant later so I would only have one plant every 2 squares. I'm not sure when that "later" was supposed to take place, but I finally took out 2 of the plants. It was very painful for me to pluck out anything that had grown, especially since they looked beautiful, but I decided I had better follow instructions. I had to take a picture before saying goodbye.
 Goodbye Cantaloupe plants

We built our trellis the way it said to do it in SFG book. (Liza, I would still like to hear how you do it). I was probably supposed to build the trellis sooner and train the cantaloupe up the vine before now but I didn't. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to training this stuff. I'm just weaving it through the spaces and hoping it works!


Box 2

Box 2, Back row--Summer Squash and Cucumbers:
These plants are growing like crazy and taking over the garden a bit. I knew so little about gardening that I had no idea the leaves would be so huge!  SFG book said to plant a summer squash in two square feet if it was the vine kind. My seed packet didn't specify so I just hoped it was the vine kind. It doesn't look like it was. Now I'm trying to force it to stay within it's space with a tomato cage but it's probably supposed to spread out. We'll see what happens. My cucumber plant is growing nicely. I'm trying to train it up this tomato cage, I think I'll do a trellis for cucumbers next year instead of a cage.

Box 2, Front row--Onions, Pepper, Beets, and Tomato:
I think they're okay although the plants in back may be dwarfing them a bit. The leaves on the green pepper plant and beets aren't looking as good as they once did. I don't know how to tell when it's time to harvest the beets or onions but I suppose I'll figure it out. I need to go look at those seed packets again.


 My other tomato plant:
This thing looked almost completely dead a few weeks ago. We bought it in a container with a cage on top and thought we were supposed to leave it in there. However, it dried out and wouldn't absorb water no matter how much we tried. I wanted to chuck it but Jason thought it might come back to life if we moved it into a better pot with better dirt.   This is a quasi "before picture" but it actually looked worse than this:
 I guess Jason was right.  It is looking much better than this.

Herb Garden

Herb Garden--I've always wanted one of these and now I finally have one. I love fresh cilantro!  I also have basil, parsley and chives. I don't use the basil enough so if you need any, please come get some!  By the way, I'm glad I took a picture of this because Tanner accidentally knocked it off the next day. We tried to put Humpty together again and I think it's going to make it, but the plants don't look quite as strong as they did before the fall.

The backyard garden is the good news. My efforts in the front yard are not going so well. Did I mention that I don't like gardening in the actual ground?  Take a look at this:

Not what I was hoping for...

My poor hostas are burning up. I do water them daily but it turns out they are shade plants and I have them in full sun. They also like soil that drains well and my ground is full of clay. I think they may be gonners but I'm going to keep watering them. My roses are also suffering. They were blooming nicely for a bit, but now the leaves are turning red (what does that mean?) and the little brown beetle from the strawberry plant has moved to the rose plant.

Anyone know what this beetle is or how I get rid of it?

I still haven't removed the rocks or added mulch to this area and the weeds are taking over. This little plot of ground makes me sad. I'm tired of working on it and I will probably just live with it until I get ambitious next spring.

Final thoughts--My gardening attempts in the front yard have been very discouraging.  Thankfully, the attempts in the backyard with the square foot gardening method have been encouraging.  I think the square foot garden method rocks!  We haven't had any weeds in our boxes yet. If you try it, buy the Miracle-Gro garden soil from Wal-mart instead of making Mel's mix. It works great. Don't forget to put the weed-barrier down when you set up your boxes. Here is a week by week picture of the garden growing.   I'll add updated photos each week to this post.

GARDEN week by week

2 weeks after planting:
Box 1
Box 2
3 weeks after planting:
Box 1
Box 2
4 weeks after planting:
Box 1
Box 2
5 weeks after planting:
Box 1
Box 2

Cucumbers starting to appear

Yellow squash


6 comments:

  1. Wow Marsha! Your garden is looking great. I am not sure what kind of beetle is eating your plants by you may try planting marigolds next to your roses and strawberries. I know their scent dispells certain kinds of beetles and critters (including rabbits). A new flower I have discovered that likes poor soil is nasturtiums. They are a seed you plant in the spring (you could probably plant as early as march in your climate). They will bloom in the summer but also have pretty leave folliage before they bloom. We have planted them along the outside of our fence that soil is made up of sand, rocks, and clay and they are growing. They are something you would have to replant every year if you like them but the seeds are inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way I like Kayla's poses in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great garden! I'd like to grow an herb garden, but I really don't have a place to grow anything!

    My condo doesn't get much sun because it faces East and the building to the east blocks much of the sun in the morning and I have no windows that face east.

    I'd love some garden tomatoes and fresh cilantro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids all say that your bug is a June bug.

    The trellis I did was one I saw in the SFG book (or it may have been his web site). Make a U-shape out of steel pipe(I think it was about 1" pipe). Make sure it's rust free stuff. Then pound 2 pieces of rebar half-way into the ground at one end of your garden to match the shape of your U-shaped pipe. I think the rebar I used was about 2 feet long. Put your U on the rebar. (This makes it easy to remove since it only sits on the rebar.) For the string, I just ordered some of the netting that Mel sell's on his SFG site. You buy it by the foot and not a bad price! Tie the net to your U and you are set to go!

    Your garden looks great! It ALMOST makes me miss my old garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. it's a Japanese beetle and they're evil. KILL THEM! Carol Ferguson plucks them off and crushes them in her hands, but I don't have the stomach for that. Get some Sevin in a ready-to-use bottle and zap them. There are also things that you mix and pour in at the roots and it protects them all season, but I just use those for my big ornamentals like crape myrtles etc.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsha - this looks so very nice, are you still doing it? I really want to start, we have such a big garden and hubby is all up for it now. Gives me great inspiration!
    Cheers, Carmen

    ReplyDelete