Friday, March 25, 2011

Homeschool Happenings

 I thought I would jot down a few of the things we've been doing lately.  I'm horrible about taking pictures, and the pictures I have aren't great, but at least I remembered to take some pictures!

Lewis and Clark Expedition
We are part of a history club where everyone reads the same chapters from a history book and then gets together every two weeks to do activities.  Early this month, Stephanie had us meet at a park with hiking trails after we read about Lewis and Clark.  She taught the kids how to use a compass, create a map key, and draw a map.  She took the kids hiking and they each drew their own map of the trail as they went along.  I didn't make it on the hike but the maps looked fantastic!




American History Museum
We also visited this museum with our history club after reading about slavery.  I love this museum and wish I could really take the time to explore it and read all the information plaques, but my kids are only up to visiting a couple of exhibits before they beg to hit the Spark Lab and the Kid's Discovery Area.  Kayla loves to watch the science experiments and the boys love to build with the blocks, legos, and other fun things they have there.  This place is always a hit!



Reports
Every other week, we have a couple of friends come over so the kids can give each other reports/ presentations about something they have studied.  They can choose the topic and plan food or activities to go with their report or presentation.  They have chosen different animals, countries, and other subjects such as spies, military, wars, and famous people.  I usually don't take pictures but I finally remembered to pull out the camera today.

Nathaniel--The Military


Ethan--Sharks


Hunter--The Wright Brothers


Kayla--Mexico


I've been wanting to make churros for a couple of years but I hate frying things because the oil is so messy.  When Kayla chose to do a report on Mexico, I decided it was now or never.  It was easier than I thought it would be and the churros were SO delicious.  I didn't enjoy cleaning up the mess afterward but it was worth it. :)

6 comments:

  1. Tell Jason I loved his talk! I think it is so true that we need to realize how few Saturdays we actually have with our kids and just know that the best thing we can do with them is spend time with them and have fun in the process!

    I love this post about Homeschool. I know it all looks so easy but I know better but I do miss our group. I hope we can rejoin the fun in another year and a half. This is how education should be. A lot of hands on learning!

    I'm still waiting for the picture of you and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are doing a lot of fun things with homeschool Marsha! Keeping yourself busy I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. Those churros look about the same as some I made about a year ago. I don't know how the stores make them so straight. :) They do taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, those churros looks SO yummy! That's awesome that you do so much with your homeschooling. You're a great mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun things you are doing with your kids! That was neat to see you doing projects with the Thiriots. What a great idea to help the kids pick topics they are interested in and to learn to present and share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, the churros were totally worth it! Thank you for doing that!

    ReplyDelete