Saturday, October 16, 2010

Utah--Part 2, Little Sahara Sand Dunes

I have very fond memories of camping at the sand dunes as a kid.  The sand is the softest sand you will ever feel, I love sinking my toes in it; it is very different from beach sand.  I wanted Jason and the kids to experience this one-of-a-kind place so we decided to visit while we were in Utah.  We were just planning to drive down for the day but my studly brother, Martin, offered to bring his trailer so we could camp overnight.  He also brought his big sand toy, the RZR (pronounced Razor), which provided more fun than any of us imagined.  We were so happy to hang out with him and get to know his darling wife, Katie.  We were thrilled when Grandma, Grandpa, Mary and Morgan (my bro. and sis.) decided to join us as well.  We had a blast.  In my fond memories of the sand dunes, I had forgotten about the sand storms--wind blowing sand in every nook and cranny--but it was totally worth it!

This is Sand Mountain, it is much bigger than it looks in the picture.  It is usually loaded with 4 wheelers, jeeps, motorcycles, etc., but we happened to camp on a Monday right after school began so we were the only ones here--how awesome!   
Tanner loved this place.

Grandpa, Morgan, Martin, and Mary in the RZR. 
When we first arrived, Martin took me on a crazy night drive--I wasn't sure I would survive.  I was screaming and hanging on for dear life.  It was a thrill-ride that I was glad to experience but it left me in no hurry to experience it again. :) I let the kids have all the thrills after that.


Tanner and Morgan getting ready for a drive.  Morgan took the RZR for a drive on his own at some point during the trip and didn't return in a timely fashion.  Martin went to look for him and discovered the RZR  lying on it's side, Morgan had rolled it (he was secretly excited about this I'm sure).  Thankfully, my kids were not in the vehicle at the time.  The harnesses kept Morgan safe.  Everything was fine but you see why I was scared for my life.


Catching some air as they went over the dunes, I'm glad it was them and not me!

Morgan brought sleds, hoping the kids could sled down the dunes but it didn't really work.  The sleds kept getting stuck.


Martin tried pulling Tanner around with ropes but found it to be exhausting...

So, he came up with the brilliant plan of hooking the ropes to the back of the RZR.

It was a huge hit, even with the wipe-outs!

Happy kiddos.

Who needs the beach?

This is a picture of our campsite taken from the top of Sand Mountain.  It's pretty hard to see us, we're the small speck of white.

All 3 kiddos on the dunes.

Kayla & Tanner coming out of Martin's trailer.  Kayla has always wanted to sleep in a big trailer like this, she was more excited about sleeping in the trailer than she was about going to the sand dunes. :) 

We all piled in the trailer for lunch to get out of the sand storm.  Thank goodness there was plenty of room.

Tanner chillin' in the trailer with Pepe.

Martin, Katie, and Harley--what a cute family.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these pictures. I'm glad you thought of going down there so I could go too. By the way, the dog's name is Harley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks like a TON of fun! I especially love that first picture of Hunter. The background is amazing. I'm glad you guys got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha, Mary, thanks for helping me out with the dog name. I kept thinking Riley didn't quite sound right! I've fixed it now. Thanks for coming down there with us, it was great spending time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of the sand dunes in Utah and I grew up there! I guess my next adventure should be exploring Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I say, "Jealous!"? Looks like it was a ton of fun! I wish we could have gone too! Maybe we can get to take us sometime.

    ReplyDelete