Friday, September 17, 2010

Utah--Part 1, Grandpa & Grandma House

We just returned from a fabulous 2-week trip to Utah. We had so much fun and I can’t wait to write about all our activities and adventures. It will take several blogs over several days but I’m determined to do it. I was hoping to write while I was there but we were too busy playing. :)

One of the things my children enjoy the most is hanging out at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. They have a big back yard that is full of fun stuff to do. It has a big tree fort with multiple rooms and levels, a zip-line, a giant rope swing, a spinning teeter-totter, a trampoline in a tree (for sleeping not jumping), and Grandpa’s famous train. The kids loved going on train rides in the back yard and around the neighborhood. The kids took turns sleeping in the fort, the tree, the trailer, and the house.

Kayla on the rope swing in front of the fort.

Notice the fort tower up in the tree.

This is a view of the fort from the backside.

Tanner inside the fort.

Cousin Jared on the zip-line, tree trampoline for sleeping in the background.

Hunter on the zip-line.

Swinging teeter-totter

Jason, the kids, and cousins trying to balance out the swinging teeter-totter.

McTrain--I didn't get a shot of the whole thing. :(

Tanner chillin' in one of the train cars.

Kayla in the caboose with Pepe.

In addition to train rides, we also enjoyed many rides with Grandpa in Old Henry. My dad restored a 1947 Ford several years ago and it has been in many parades and car shows since. Every night, he likes to take Ol’ Henry for a drive while listening to old radio shows. We often accompanied him to Utah Lake, Squaw Peak (a look-out in the mountains), or to Sonic for milkshakes.  We failed to take any pictures of Old Henry, but my sister, Mary, sent me this one. 


This is a picture of the view at night from Squaw Peak.


Kayla loved spending time with Grandma. My mom has 10 children and 19 grandchildren so finding time alone with her is not easy.  However, Grandma made time to be with Kayla. She helped her make pajamas and a robe for her American Girl doll. I rarely sew so it was a real treat for Kayla to be able to pick out the material, cut out the pattern, and create something beautiful. The best treat of all was having one-on-one time with Grandma, she is such a special lady.







Hunter loved spending time with my youngest brother, Morgan. He is the only one of my 9 siblings still living at home and we’ll be very sad when he is gone. We really missed Mickey and Monte (my other brothers who were married recently that used to live at home). Hunter followed Morgan around like a puppy and spent hours playing old school Nintendo games with him. Hunter’s video-game time is limited at home so he was extremely thrilled to have some unlimited time. He always wants me to play with him but I’m usually too busy at home.  Since we were on vacation, I made it a point to play video games with Hunter, his dream came true. :) Now, if only someone could explain WHY boys like video games so much???


We had such a great time with cousins, grandparents, and siblings. Stay tuned for more exciting Utah adventures!

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed you already have something posted on your visit! I still need to post about my baby's first birthday and all the fun we had with family in town. We really enjoyed having you guys around. It reminded us how much we enjoy hanging out with you. If we don't end up doing a Nauvoo trip next year, we will probably make an effort to come your way instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO fun! Your parents have the "ultimate grandkids' playground. I'm glad you had a great trip and that your kids got to spend time with their grandparents. Maybe one of these days our Utah trips will happen at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That house does look like a kid's paradise. Your daughters sewing for her doll came out great! My oldest, who is 10, likes to sew, but we haven't done many doll clothes yet. I don't want her to get frustrated by the little pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it sounds like Jason learned his fort building and such from your parents! Super fun. I love how adventurous your family is and how much they play together. So fun! Did you ever "lose" the game boy I left you!? Just curious what ever became of it! Miss ya! Cherilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. That backyard is every kids dream! Even I would sleep on a trampoline in a tree! What fun memories your kids will have of their grandparents house!

    ReplyDelete