Sunday, May 16, 2010

Kayla's 10th Birthday



Today my first-born turned 10!  Kayla arrived 2 weeks before her due date, the day her dad flew to California to train for a new job.  He flew out and hours later, my water broke.  When he arrived in CA, they told him to get back on a plane and come home because his first child was being born.  I was anxious for him to return because we had been practicing natural childbirth exercises for months.  He didn't make it but I did just fine. :)  I even made it without drugs!  My little sister, Mary, was there to cheer me on, she was the first person to see little Kayla.  Jason made it back to VA a few hours after she was born.  He called me at the hospital and I said to him, "I know we promised each other we would never say our babies are beautiful and perfect, but I can't help it.  She is perfect!"

Today Kayla started her birthday off with our family tradition--breakfast in bed.  She requested french toast, hash browns, and bacon.  Jason is usually the hash brown maker in our home but I actually made them myself today so he could sleep in.  (Remember he had to get up early last week).

Yum, yum!

Kayla is very resistant to waking up early herself but she woke up with a smile on her face today.

In the evening, we wen't to Oma's house to celebrate with the family.  I was so happy Kayla asked Oma to host. Kayla requested Oma's famous pasta salad which is absolutely to die for.  As usual, Oma also made a ton of other yummy things like smoked ribs, pork, and chicken--so tasty!  Bonnie (Jason's godmother) brought fruit to dip in chocolate, is your mouth watering yet?

For dessert, Kayla requested strawberry cheesecake from Costco (nice and easy for me!)  The big question was, would she or would she not be able to blow out the candles?  For some reason, Kayla has never been successful at blowing out her candles, we really don't know why.  She would blow and blow, but nothing would happen, maybe ONE candle would go out.  We were all in suspense this year to see if she could do it.

She did it! For the first time ever she blew out all her candles!

Tanner was very sad he didn't get to help.  I later learned that Jason had worked with Kayla at home so she would be able to do it.  He lit candles and had her practice blowing them out.  Pretty funny eh?  Just goes to show that practice pays off. :)

For her birthday, Kayla got what she wanted the most--money! Instead of a birthday party, Kayla asked to go to NYC to visit the American Girl Place. We are taking a train up there next week but I told Kayla she would have to use her own money for shopping. Thanks to her generous relatives, she has money to do that now.

Kayla also got more zhu zhu pet stuff to add to her collection. Grandma in Utah and Aunt Ruth sent her this. Last year it was Littlest Pet Shop, this year it's Zhu Zhu pets. Kayla definitely goes with the trends in toys but it's okay because she actually plays with them. I'm also glad she isn't too old to like toys. I know it won't be long before she only wants electronics, I'll enjoy the dolls and pets while they last.

Kayla is such a special girl, I feel so blessed to be her mom.  She isn't perfect but she's pretty close.  She is very caring, kind, obedient, fun, smart, talented, thoughtful, and more.  She is a joy to be around and I can't wait to see what she does with her life in the years to come.  I love you Kayla.

4 comments:

  1. You should come to the American Girl store in Denver! It just opened and is pretty fun. You can stay with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey RaeLyn, that would be so fun to visit you in Colorado and go to the AG place together! I wish we could but it's probably more affordable to head up to NY. Maybe one day though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Kayla! I am glad you had a good day. I wish we could have been there to celebrate with you! We miss you all tons. I know when you come visit this year that Alicia will love to play with you (she loves playing with Rachelle).

    Nice picture of the grandkids. They are all growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - so much to say! First, I didn't know you were a natural child birther (is that a word?)! Yeah for you! The older I get the less drugs I want and the more I regret the ones I did use. Will was my au naturel while the epidural never worked with Cade so can I count that too? - ha ha! That's too bad Jason missed seeing his first one born. Jim usually is no help to me because he's down "there" with the doctor watching the whole thing! I love that Kayla got her pasta salad - I'm glad to be off the hook for that one in my almost defunct cooking class! I love that your kids get breakfast in bed and you really give them the royal treatment. I have so much learn about being a good mom and feel like I have lost so much time. I agree about it being nice that Kayla likes money and sweet toys. Just say NO to electronics. All they bring my family is grief. In fact, just today Scott had his IPOD Touch confiscated for eternity.

    ReplyDelete