| Archer, 5-years-old |
Archer's 5th birthday started out with breakfast in bed, as that is our family tradition. Thankfully, he didn't request crepes, like everyone else does, and I got off easy with waffles!
Archer has been asking to ride a "real" train for many months now. I decided his birthday would be a perfect time to arrange it. I could only do a one-way Amtrak ride because of my schedule that day, so we rode a train about 45 minutes one direction, and Grandpa picked us up and brought us home. Archer definitely enjoyed it and wished it was longer. I actually did too!
| Archer at the historic train station in Manassas. |
Jason took Archer out to dinner at I-HOP since I was teaching piano and working with the Activity Day girls that night. Then we all had cake and ice cream as a family. Archer has been wanting a cookie monster cake from Safeway for months. His wish finally came true!
I can't believe my baby is 5-years-old. Time is passing so quickly. I love my Archer boy!
Jason's Birthday
My sweetheart also had a birthday this month. He loves to go hiking and it has become his birthday tradition to go. He took a day off of work to hike Old Rag with Hunter. This hike is 9 miles long and not for the faint of heart. It can be dangerous at times, so we let Jason and Hunter do this one on their own.
The next day, Tanner, Archer, Jason, and I went on an easy "hike" near the Stone Bridge at Bull Run Park. Kayla and Hunter had other commitments that day, so they couldn't join us. It was a lovely day. Perfect for being outdoors at one of our favorite places.
We also got together with relatives at Oma and Grandpa's house to celebrate both birthdays.
| Never too old for toys! |
| Heather and Steve |
| Kayla and Sloan |
Take Your Child to Work Day
Jason's company sponsored a "take your child to work day" and Tanner was the lucky boy to go with Jason. They had a "Minecraft" tournament of sorts and Tanner said it was the best day ever!
Engagement Anniversary
I told Jason I really wanted to go to the temple this month. I knew he was super busy with school, but I asked if he thought we could go on April 23rd. I told him he could study on the way there and back. To my surprise, he eagerly said yes. He said that day would be perfect. I didn't think much about it, but on our way to the temple, he surprised me with a card thanking me for saying yes to him 17 years ago. I forgot it was our engagement anniversary! Jason always remembers! It is so cute of him. He wrote me a three-page, single-spaced letter when he proposed and it is so fun to read that each year and remember all the awesome things he said to me! :) It was a wonderful date. Sadly, none of the pictures of the two of us together in front of the temple worked out, but we tried!
Mount Vernon
In spite of being busy with school, Jason has been able to squeeze in a significant amount of family time this month. Hooray! On the last day of the month, he went to Mount Vernon with his Dad, brother, Heather, Kyle, Hunter, and Tanner. Brigitte watched Archer for me all day while I went to a Women's Conference and did some scrapbooking. I so appreciated that awesome surprise. It was a real gift!
Skate-N-Fun Zone
Tanner found some old skates in our garage that were several sizes too small, but he was determined to squeeze his feet into them and attempt skating. It was fun to see his exuberance, but I also wanted him to try skating with skates that actually fit. I told him that maybe we could go to Skate-n-Fun Zone on our next date. (I have been trying to go on more dates with the kids and it has been fun for all of us). He was so THRILLED with this idea and couldn't wait for us to schedule it on the calendar. Kayla was also interested in going, so we went on a "Homeschool Skate" day which was perfect because it wasn't too crowded. Tanner fell down over and over at first and I wasn't sure if we would last a half-hour, but he kept working on it, and eventually he was able to go around the rink a couple of times without falling! He enjoyed it so much and wishes now we could go every week. We have since bought him skates that fit so he can skate on his own at home. Go Tanner!
April was a wonderful month, full of fun family times. I had a lot of fun stamping with friends this month too, but that is for another blog. :)
Oh, Missing VA! You are so awesome to do so much with your kids. Love it!
ReplyDeleteThanks, RaeLyn. We sure wish you were still here! :) Thanks for reading my posts and taking time to comment.
ReplyDelete