Sunday, April 3, 2016

February and March

Valentine's Day
My sweetie surprised me a couple days early with some chocolate covered strawberries!  Just what I wanted!  No really...he read my mind...he's never given me chocolate covered strawberries before and I was thinking the day he gave them to me how much I would like to have some for Valentine's Day.  Ah sweet!

I made heart-shaped pink pancakes for breakfast.   For dinner, Jason's parents' invited us over for surf n' turf with Heather and Steve. No kids allowed.  I am liking this new Valentine's Day tradition. :)

Tanner's 9th Birthday
My sweet Tanner boy turned 9.  Of course, we made him breakfast in bed as it's our family tradition.  Archer was the only one up early enough to help me cook, but the other kids rolled out of bed in time to deliver breakfast and sing him the birthday song.  We don't have "friend" birthday parties on odd birthdays, but we did let Tanner invite a couple of friends to go out to dinner with him on his actual birthday.  Tanner chose Golden Corral and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  Later that week, we had our family party with grandparents and cousins.

Manassas Music Festival
Kayla performed at the Manassas Music Festival and received a Superior rating.  She worked hard and did a great job.  I entered a few of my students in the festival this year, and they also did great.  I had to be a judge for the first time and it was very nerve-wracking, but I learned a lot and am working up the nerve to do it again next year as it's required if you want to enter students.  I don't like judging, but I want my students to have the opportunity to participate in Festival.

Spring Break
My sweetheart wanted me to have a real break over Spring Break, so he rented a condo at Massenutten for a week (we got a great deal) and told me I could go by myself.  Love that man!  Jason couldn't go because of work, school, and pet-sitting.  I took him up on that offer and enjoyed most of the week to myself, but did have the kids join me for a couple of days.  

What did I do all by myself?  Well, I brought stamping projects, of course.  I stamped and watched favorite movies like Pride and Prejudice and other great chick flicks.  I went on walks in nature.  I read novels, which I love to do, but usually don't do because they take over my life and I can't get anything done at home once I start.  I took bubble baths, which I also love but usually don't have time for.  I finally used some Spa gift certificates I was given over a year ago and had a manicure and a massage--wonderful.  I went clothes shopping, which I have needed to do for a long time, but couldn't find time for.  Mostly, I enjoyed non-interrupted quiet time, in a place that stayed clean without gargantuan efforts, doing things I love to do but don't always find time to do.  I definitely missed my family, but I enjoyed the peace and solitude as well.

I did do one productive and very important thing that I needed to go off by myself to do--I wrote a "Life Plan."  A friend recommended the book Living Forward which is all about writing a life plan so you "can stop drifting and get the life you really want." It explains a step by step process, designed to be completed in one full day, to figure out your priorities and what is important to you so you can create a life plan with action steps to help you live according to those priorities and what really matters.  It was a daunting task and somewhat grueling experience, but it was really wonderful too. Now that I'm back in the real world, implementation is definitely the hardest part, but I'm taking baby steps and making progress.  I'm truly grateful Jason gave me the opportunity to ponder and write down how I want to live my life.  I'm supposed to do quarterly and annual reviews, so I may be taking more vacations by myself in the future!  I do hope Jason can join me on the next one.  He's back in school now and super busy with studying and I miss our time together.  We'll all rejoice when school is done.

Savior of the World
Kayla was in a production of "Savior of the World" that played on Easter weekend at the D.C. Temple Visitor's Center.  She was an angel.  I went with Tanner to watch it and it was a perfect start to the Easter weekend as I thought about my Savior and all He's done for me and the rest of mankind.  I didn't get any photos of Kayla in costume.  I'm pretty bad about taking photos.

Easter Sunday
On Easter Sunday, we watched the "Lamb of God" which is a beautiful short film about the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. After church, we went to Oma's for our traditional Easter dinner and Easter Egg Hunt.  Oma fills the eggs with money instead of candy (which I love).  As always, it was nice to get together with family.
Jason bought this on sale after Easter.  Just what our rambunctious Archer needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment