Homeschooling
The month of September brought the beginning of our home school year. We kicked it off the first day of school with a visit to the new doughnut shop in town--Duck Donuts. It was as delicious!
Yes, after two years of Tanner going to public school, he is staying home again this year. It wasn't what we had planned, but he REALLY wanted it and used all of his powers of persuasion on me until I finally agreed to it A WEEK before school started! I had to scramble a bit to get my paperwork into the county, but luckily I had most of the school supplies I needed from homeschooling his older siblings at that age. I just needed to buy a few things. On many levels, I wanted to homeschool him, but I was worried I wouldn't have enough time. Not to mention, I love peace and quiet and three boys at home all the time does not equal peace and quiet! :) However, I am happy with the decision...most of the time! :) The biggest benefit I have seen so far is a huge improvement in his relationship with Hunter. You would think they would get on each other's nerves more being around each other all the time, but they've actually become really good buddies and it is heartwarming to see.
Hunter's Birthday
Hunter turned 14 this month! It's so hard to believe!
He has been really fascinated with an Anime show called "Naruto" and the ONE gift he wanted was a Rock Lee costume (his favorite character). He wears his costume with pride and I can't help but feel a little grateful that my children are less self-conscious about what others might think of them then I was at that age! :)
We try to make it a birthday "week" instead of celebrating only one day. Jason took him out for a steak dinner one night, we had a family birthday dinner another night, and he had a couple of buddies over for an "all-night-er" another night where they drank insane amounts of soda pop and tried to see who could actually stay up all night. I'm not a fan of all-nighters, but Jason said we should let him do it for his birthday and I decided to put aside my grown-up-mothering ways for one night! Turning 14 marked the end of his days as a deacon and Jason took some pictures of him on his last fast-offering route.
Hunter is a wonderful son and I am so grateful for him. He is very helpful with his younger brothers, with cooking, and with other things around the house. He is funny and makes us all laugh.
Apple Picking
We went apple picking in September with Archer's preschool class. It was fun to be out in the fall weather and I was reminded how much Archer needs to run around in the great outdoors. He loved it!
Montpelier
Jason took the kids on an outing to Montpelier again. It's such a beautiful place to visit and they always have a great time. I love seeing these pictures of them being out in nature. And of course, they capture what a great dad Jason is. He is so busy working and finishing up his master's degree, but he still makes it a priority to spend time with the kids.
In addition to preschool, Archer is going to "Nature School" a couple of days a week at my friend, Jeni's, house. They spend time walking through her woods, looking at various plants, insects, and critters, building and exploring, and otherwise having a grand time. He loves it and says he wants to do it for the rest of his life! :) Once a month, she plans a family field trip. For September, we went to the Pumpkin Patch at Leesburg Animal Park.
That's a wrap-up for September. It was a fun month!




No comments:
Post a Comment