This year I'm writing our Christmas letter via our blog. It's been a beautiful year. I asked my kids to write their own paragraph about themselves for the Christmas letter (or to dictate it). This is what they had to say:
Kayla (age 11):
This year has been quite exciting. Surprisingly, I have been to the hospital three times; once for a fractured wrist, once for a concussion, and yet another time for a bruised rib. I continue to love roller coasters and I had many opportunities to experience them this past year with a visit to Disneyworld, Universal Studios, and a season pass to King’s Dominion. Recently I’ve taken an interest in politics, though I've found it isn’t a very popular subject among 11-year-old girls. J My dad and I like to watch the debates together. My new toy interest is Squinkies-- tiny, squishy, creatures that can fit on the top of a pencil. Although my mom isn’t thrilled I’ve started another toy collection, she is glad that Squinkies are tiny and don’t take up much space. It has been a fun, fascinating year and I look forward to 2012.
Hunter (age 10):
One of the best things that happened this past year was on New Year’s Day. Every year on January 1st, we have a brunch party at our house with our relatives. We have steaming hot chocolate, waffles, eggs, bacon, and cinnamon rolls, and I get to play with my cousins. Another exciting thing that happened was an adventure at Harper’s Ferry. We climbed big rocks, ate ice cream, and hiked steep stairways to look at old churches. Then something a little scary happened. Kayla, Tanner, and I got caught in some rapids while we were floating down the river. I was afraid we might drown, but then I said a prayer and my dad came and saved us. A little bit about me: I like to eat steak. I like to play video games. I like to play football and other sports with my Dad. I like to play with Legos and Bionicles. School is getting better, I even like writing now. That’s a little about me.
Tanner (age 4):
I like to build with Legos and Bionicles. I like to play Roblox on the computer. I like to play Spiderman Friend or Foe on the X-box. I like to play with my cars. I like to ride my bike, it’s my favorite thing. I like to write letters (the ABC’s), it’s my favorite thing too. I like going to the barbershop to get my haircut and get free popcorn and lollipops. I love lollipops. Candy is also my favorite thing. I like to play with Geo Trax. I like going to Disneyworld. I got to eat breakfast there for my birthday with Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. I want to go there again. I go to preschool now at 4 R's. I like my teachers.
Archer (age 8 months):
Archer likes to smile, eat, and watch his siblings play. He's scooting all over the place now, but still hasn't progressed from an army crawl to a regular crawl. He sleeps great and is generally happy. He is delightful and we feel so blessed to have him in our family. More about Archer here.
The Parents:
Jason didn't get his paragraph to me yet, so I guess I'll write a couple of things about him. He is ever the wonderful husband and father, making sure we all laugh and have fun. He is cubmaster at church and it suits him perfectly (in my opinion). He has always been a natural at planning fun activities for kids, so this is just an extension of that. He still works for Scitor and we're thankful for his job with a great company. He is the rock we all lean on and I feel grateful for him every day.
I am happy and thankful for my many blessings. The highlight of the year for me was the arrival of baby Archer on April 12th. I grew a garden for the first time and finally went on a roller coaster after many years of being too scared. I only went on ONE, but maybe next year I can work up to two! I'm still homeschooling and enjoying it greatly. We have a lot of fun together and I feel lucky to have so much time with my kiddos. They are growing up so fast.
That's a little bit about us and our year. We hope all is well with our friends and loved ones near and far. Have a beautiful Christmas!
Love,
I think I'll do an electronic card next year! I love hearing about each person - I can't believe how much Kayla, Hunter, and Tan Tan have grown and matured! I look forward to meeting Archer. Tell Jason we plan on him moving on up to 11 year old scouts when Cade returns! Miss you and love you all! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteWe had season passes to KD, too! And will next year! We should meet up and go together sometime. Love that you had your kids write their own part--I'm going to copy that next year!! Have a great Christmas with your family. Looking forward to seeing you a lot in January!!
ReplyDeleteI love hearing about your beautiful family! I read your blog often and feel like I know the kids. What a wonderful family you have. Thanks for the Blog. Give my love to all the family and Roy & Bridgette as well! Love ya,Sharon
ReplyDeleteAah. Loved this. Your kids are great writers. So fun to hear about life from their perspective. I was going to post something like this for Christmas but never got around to it. I blamed it on the new baby, but looks like you pulled it off new baby and all. There go my excuses!
ReplyDeleteHa, ha, Gina. Trust me, there are many things I planned to do and didn't pull off! New babies are a legitimate excuse for everything. I'm still amazed at how time consuming they are! I hope you are enjoying homeschooling. I'm trying to get back in the swing of thigns after our holiday break. Talk to you soon!
ReplyDelete