Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Caramel Popcorn & Composition Meet
The children were nestled all snug in their beds when Jason decided to try out the new microwave caramel popcorn he had bought. After he polished it off (with some help from me), Kayla came down and handed him a paper and went back to her room. At the top of the paper she wrote, "I hope this is a good descriptive paragraph. Please grade it."
Caramel Popcorn
by Kayla LaFroth
The smell of caramel popcorn tantalized me as I sat miserably in my hot pink chair in my cheerful room. The idea of sneaking downstairs and stealing a couple handfuls of the caramel coated popcorn sounded very appealing. I imagined crunching as I munched on the delicious, sticky, little caramel puffs, the caramel exploding flavor into my mouth as I chewed the popcorn. Instead, I sat, taunted about those little puffs iced with caramel.
Jason delivered a bowl of popcorn to her room with an "A" taped on it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, that's one of those "hooray for homeschool" moments. Wow, I am very impressed with her DESCRIPTIVE writing! That's so fabulous. Keep up the good work, Mom!
ReplyDeleteI would have given her an A+ ;-). So did the popcorn turn out as good as she made it sound?
ReplyDeleteBTW, I like you new blog setup.
Ah thanks Raelyn, but I can't take credit for teaching her writing. She takes writing classes in the area from better experts than me. Have you heard of The Institue for Excellence in Writing (IEW)? Her teachers use that program.
ReplyDeleteMonica, the popcorn was shockingly delicious. I didn't see him make it but I think he must have cooked the caramel seperately and poured it on top because it seemed like the real deal. Not as good as Doug's, of course. :)
What a great story! She is such a creative girl! I love the new pictures. Archer is such a cutie! All of your kids are.
ReplyDeleteThat is some awesome writing. Way to go Kayla! Do you do IEW through a co-op? It intimates me to start that program on my own but it sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMindy,
ReplyDeleteI don't do a co-op, I just pay for her to go to the classes. I tried teaching it one year on my own but it was hard to get her to write, edit, and re-write for me. She needed to write for someone else that would be evaluating it and requiring her to go through the process. (She didn't do that on this, of course.) I love the program. I think a co-op would work well too. You could share the cost of the DVD's that way too and the kids would have someone to read their papers to (always a good motivator). I bought the parent DVD's AND the student DVD's and then ended up paying more than that for the classes. Oh well, I learned from watching them. :)