Thursday, January 14, 2016

Scripture of the Week

In October, I wrote that one of my favorite talks from General Conference was titled, "My Heart Pondereth Them Continually."  In that talk, Elder Durrant challenged us to choose one scripture each week to ponder over and over and possibly memorize.  This was a challenge I really felt excited about accepting.  Although I haven't done it perfectly since then, I have really loved having that weekly scripture to ponder and I want to start posting my weekly choice of scripture here on my blog in addition to writing it on a post-it note that I stick on my bathroom mirror. :)

Scripture for this week:

2 Nephi 31:20
Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.  Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

This is a scripture I've already memorized and recited many times, but today, I thought about it in a new way.  I was thinking about my health goals today...you know...the same ones I find myself setting and fizzling out on over and over again--lose weight, exercise, eat more fruits and vegetables, limit desserts, etc.  As I was thinking about this and feeling discouraged about my many failed attempts in this area, the words "Press forward" came to my mind and I thought about this scripture in relation to achieving my health goals.  The words "having a perfect brightness of hope" really stood out to me because I know hope and belief are such an important aspect in reaching any goal, yet it is something I struggle to have because of my past failed attempts.  The words "endure to the end" also stood out to me because I have persisted in this goal for many months at a time, but then I fizzle out and abandon my goal and fail to "endure to the end." I've decided to adopt "Press forward" as my mantra/motto for the year.  As I was thinking about this scripture, I thought of phrases from another scripture that I also want to include in my daily ponderings:

D&C 128:22
"Shall we not go on in so great a cause?  Go forward and not backward. Courage...and on, on to victory!

Is the pursuit of physical health so great a cause?  Yes.  It affects all areas of my life when this is lacking--my confidence, my energy levels, my desire to be social, my ability to care properly for my family.  So, yes, this is a great cause and something worth investing my time and energy into achieving.  Forward and not backward.  On, on to victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment