Sunday, December 27, 2015

End of 2015

It's December 27, 2015; the year is drawing to a close.  I am thankful for so many blessings.  I am thankful for the "good tidings of great joy" that we celebrate at Christmas and all year long.  I am so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I am so thankful for my family and dear friends.  I am thankful for my piano students.  I'm thankful for good health, a home, vehicles, jobs, and much more.  I'm thankful for second chances and new beginnings. I am hoping I will be more successful at my goals in 2016 than I was in 2015! :)

Here a few photos from the last couple of months that I haven't posted yet.

Church Formal Dance
Hunter turned 14 this year, which means he can go to the church youth dances.  Kayla has always enjoyed these and is glad to have her brother go too.  Usually the dances are casual, but once in awhile they dress up.  Kayla was excited to have her good friend, Olivia go with them.  Jason took them to see Oma on their way to the dance.





Kayla got her Learner's Permit

She is still learning! :)

Grandkid Photos
Jason took the kids and their cousins to Chapman's Mill to take some pictures for Oma.  It's been a few years since she had a photo of all her grandkids together.


Piano
In September, I started doing group lessons once a month with my piano students and I have really enjoyed it.  It gives us a chance to use the Music Mind Game materials, which I like so much, and gives the students a chance to interact with each other and practice performing in front of others.  Of course, we always have snacks!  I also do a yearly party for the students who can name all the notes on the grand staff and find them on the piano in less than a minute. 











Two days before Christmas, we did a recital at the Gainesville Rehab Center.  It was a little crazy to do it so close to Christmas; but most of my students came, and one of the mother's even knitted scarves for all of the residents!




I have such wonderful students!  Sometimes I think of what it was like before I "worked" and I miss those days of being free from 3 to 7 p.m. each day.  At the same time, I love my piano students and can't think of any job I would rather do than teach piano.  I'm so grateful for the opportunity to get to know these cute kids, to see them get better as the months and years go by, and to meet their wonderful families too.  Teaching piano truly is a blessing!

Christmas



The wonder of a child...Archer just made everything about Christmas more exciting.  The thrill of putting up the Christmas tree and other Christmas decorations has worn off for the older kids, but not Archer.  He was so excited to do all of these things, to see the lights in the neighborhood, to sing the Christmas carols.  His excitement always puts a smile on my face.  Well...maybe not always.  We went to see the Festival of Lights at the DC Temple and his energy and constant running around were not appreciated there!  Tanner and Hunter complained about going and kept asking when we could go home.  Sometimes these family outings just don't go the way I envision them in my mind.  I have decided this might be a tradition that Kayla and I do every year, just the two of us! :)  We didn't even get a family photo, but the temple was beautiful as always.  Jason and I got engaged on the temple grounds, so we always like to show the kids the special spot where it all began!






On Christmas Eve we always go to Oma and Grandpa's house to celebrate, eat delicious appetizers, and open a mound of presents!  Oma really spoils us and, of course, the kids love it!  I was so excited and surprised to get a storm door.  I have wanted one of those for a long time!

When we got home, Jason and I stayed up late wrapping presents and doing Christmas prep while watching "It's a Wonderful Life." My season isn't quite complete until I watch that show.   My children don't appreciate it, but I love it so much.  I feel George Bailey's major stress and despair so keenly and love the reminder that no matter how terrible things seem, it really is a wonderful life! 

A few photos taken Christmas morning:






I really believe this was my most relaxing and peaceful Christmas yet.  Usually I go a little crazy with shopping and trying to do all the fun traditions such as holiday baking, delivering goodies to friends and neighbors, decorating gingerbread houses, etc.  This year, I was too busy going crazy with rubber stamping and piano stuff, so Jason took care of most of the shopping and it was really awesome! :)  I watched a lot of Christmas movies (which I totally love) both with the family and one my own while stamping, listened to Christmas music, and let go of all those things I normally do.  I felt a little bad about it, but mostly I felt fine and the kids didn't seem to miss those things at all! :)  On Christmas day, I watched a touching video about the Savior's birth from the eyes of Joseph even before all the kids were awake; I took a really long nap after we opened presents (my Christmas dream come true); and I even got to craft a little before going to dinner with the relatives.  I felt a lot of peace and contentment and that was a great feeling to have at Christmas time.  Jason's awesomeness is a huge part of all of that being possible since he did most of the shopping, made sentimental gifts for his mom and godmother, and kept the kids happy so I could have my really long nap.  He is the best and I'm SO grateful for him every day.

Now I'm thinking about the new year.  I hope to do all kinds of things better and I have all sorts of goals spinning in my head.  Hopefully I won't get too carried away and burn out before I even begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment