Sunday, February 12, 2012
The Joy of Feeding My Family
For awhile now, I've been trying to increase our family's vegetable intake in major ways. This past week, I stepped it up even more and made a bunch of vegetarian dishes. For my carnivorous family, this hasn't gone over well. My hubby will eat whatever I make, but the kids are another story. Most of the time, they turn up their noses and eat bread. A friend shared this wonderful recipe for Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, and Jason and I really liked it. The kids wouldn't give it a chance. Well, I made the lasagna Friday night and still had extra spaghetti squash to do something with. Tonight I made a "Sweet Spaghetti Squash" recipe with raisins, maple syrup, and spices. My husband told the kids he would make them a cake if they tried one bite (might as well negate our healthy foods with cake, right?). They were scared, but they really wanted that cake! Kayla and Tanner decided to go for it. They declared it wasn't good after one bite, but at least they could swallow it! Hunter DID NOT want to try it, but he really wanted cake and he had a lot of peer pressure from his siblings. He finally decided to do it. How hard could one bite be? I should say that he is my pickiest eater and has the hardest time with textures and mixed foods. He is a big meat eater and likes everything plain. Well...he put the bite in his mouth and immediately got a distressed look on his face. I could see him trying to swallow it, but he kept gagging and his eyes were watering. He would calm himself down and try again, but the same thing kept happening. He finally gave up and ran to the sink where he puked it up along with his entire dinner. Zheesh! Now you know why I don't force him to try things at other people's houses. I know it won't go well and as embarrasing as it is to have my son eat nothing, it is far worse to have him take a bite and throw up!
So, I'm going to keep making veggies for Jason, baby Archer, and myself to eat. Maybe the other kids will eventually come around.
Who wouldn't want to eat this?????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It looks good to me. I wish you could E-mail some to me. You'll have to fix it when I come to Virginia. Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteHmm. I like spaghetti squash with vegetables and maybe some butter and parmesan cheese, but I'm not sure I'd like it with raisins and maple syrup.
ReplyDeleteHave you tried making anything with Quinoa? It is now my favorite thing to experiment with. I have been substituting it for rice. It can also be eaten for breakfast like cracked wheat, or made into a salad like a pasta salad but with quinoa instead. Let me know if you'd like some recipes.
ReplyDeleteI found the best price for quinoa to be at Costco (if they sell it out there in your Costco.)
Yes Mary, I have made Quinoa. I actually have a bunch in my pantry right now and would love to hear some of your favorite recipes. I wasn't thrilled with it as a substitute for rice with stir-fry, but I liked it in a salad I made.
ReplyDeleteWe grew some spaghetti squash last summer. Jacob's favorite meal is spaghetti so I thought this would be a great way to get the kids some more vegetables. We cooked some up this fall and covered it in Spaghetti sauce and the kids ate it, especially Jacob. I actually didn't love the texture (never been a real big squash fan) but I ate it to set a good example.
ReplyDeleteI found your blog! (it's me, your VT partner). So cute! I'll have fun reading this! Come see mine!
ReplyDelete